Healthy Life Virginia offers news and notes to improve your body, mind and spirit.
Easy tomato soup
This recipe, from our weekly Food section, comes from Susan Nicholson, a graduate of Mary Washington College who is an Atlanta-based cookbook author and registered dietitian. My colleague Edie Gross raved about this soup — the flavor and the ease of making it. It requires about 15 minutes of prep time and about 40 minutes of cooking time.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- Large pinch of saffron threads
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes (such as Marzano)
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup orzo
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil on medium. Add onions; cook on medium-low 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown.
- Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Stir in broth, tomatoes, saffron, salt and pepper. Bring to boil; simmer 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook orzo according to directions; drain and add to soup.
- Stir in cream; return to simmer on low and cook 10 more minutes, stirring frequently.
Nutritional information per serving: 268 calories, 5 grams protein, 15 grams fat (48 percent calories from fat), 5.7 grams saturated fat, 31 grams carbohydrate, 27 milligrams cholesterol, 600 milligrams sodium, 5 grams fiber
Recipe adapted from: “Barefoot Contessa Foolproof,” by Ina Garten, Clarkson Potter, 2012.)
1. Be respectful. No personal attacks.
2. Please avoid offensive, vulgar, abusive, hateful or defamatory language.
3. Read and follow THE RULES.
4. Please notify us by flagging posts that are inappropriate.
Posts that include links, and posts from users with unverified e-mail addresses may take longer to appear.