Healthy Life Virginia offers news and notes to improve your body, mind and spirit.
Fish with apple and beet relish
For a good baked fish recipe, click here. (You might want to leave out the lemon juice this recipe calls for if you intend to use the relish recipe below.) Below is registered dietitian Jennifer Motl’s Apple and Beet Relish recipe, which she adapted from the book “Roast Fig, Sugar Snow” by Diana Henry. Motl said the sweet-and-sour relish “brightens bland foods such as baked fish and potatoes.”
- 3 small fresh beets, about 10 ounces
- 1 eating apple
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ¼ red onion*, finely sliced substituted ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut off tops and and tails from beets. In covered dish, microwave whole beets until tender when pricked with fork, 8 or more minutes. Open dish and set aside while beets cool.
- In separate serving dish, mix vinegar and brown sugar.
- Core and dice apple—no need to peel–and add to vinegar-sugar mixture.
- In frying pan, saute onions in olive oil just long enough to take raw edge off. Add onions and olive oil to apples.
- If needed, stir salt and pepper.
- Peel cooked beets and cut into matchsticks and add. Refrigerate until needed.
- *Note: You may substitute ¼ teaspoon garlic powder for the onion for a milder flavor.
1. Be respectful. No personal attacks.
2. Please avoid offensive, vulgar, abusive, hateful or defamatory language.
3. Read and follow THE RULES.
4. Please notify us by flagging posts that are inappropriate.
Posts that include links, and posts from users with unverified e-mail addresses may take longer to appear.