Healthy Life Virginia offers news and notes to improve your body, mind and spirit.
Wilted spinach salad with Tempeh bacon
Stafford County’s Lisa Smith sent me this recipe, which she said is adapted from a recipe in VegNews magazine’s Nov/Dec 2012 issue.
For the salad:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large vidalia onion thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt divided
- 5 cups baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
For the bacon:
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- one 6-ounce package of Organic Smoky Tempeh strips by Lightlife (available at Wegmans)
- Fry the bacon strips in 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- In a pan over high heat, heat 1 tablespoon of oil. Add onion and 3/4 teaspoon of salt and saute until onions turn translucent.
- Reduce heat to med-high and continue sauteing until onions turn golden brown. Reduce heat to medium and let cook over medium heat, stirring often, until onions turn a deep caramel brown.
- In a large bowl toss spinach, remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt, lemon juice, lemon zest, and pepper. Add caramelized onions and stir gently.
- Top with tempeh crumbles before serving.
1. Be respectful. No personal attacks.
2. Please avoid offensive, vulgar, abusive, hateful or defamatory language.
3. Read and follow THE RULES.
4. Please notify us by flagging posts that are inappropriate.
Posts that include links, and posts from users with unverified e-mail addresses may take longer to appear.