Healthy Life Virginia offers news and notes to improve your body, mind and spirit.
This recipe comes from Lisa Smith of Stafford County, who Fredericksburg’s Gloria Lloyd said recently made the best vegan Thanksgiving meal she’s ever eaten. Smith kindly sent the recipe to me at Lloyd’s request. The recipe is adapted from one in “The Vegan Table” by Colleen Patrick Goudreau.
- 6 cups diced Italian bread
- 2 tablespoons nondairy butter like Earth Balance
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 large carrots peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 stalks of celery
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 1/2 cup each chopped walnuts and pecans
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350. Place bread cubes on baking sheet and place in oven about 15 minutes until crisp.
- Meanwhile, warm butter in a saute pan and cook onion, celery and carrots over medium heat until onion is translucent.
- Remove bread from oven and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add onion mixture, herbs, raisins and nuts. Stir well.
- Drizzle with the vegetable stock and toss gently. Add salt to taste.
- Bake in a casserole dish uncovered for 30 to 40 min. Season with black pepper. Serves 6-8 as a side dish.
1. Be respectful. No personal attacks.
2. Please avoid offensive, vulgar, abusive, hateful or defamatory language.
3. Read and follow THE RULES.
4. Please notify us by flagging posts that are inappropriate.
Posts that include links, and posts from users with unverified e-mail addresses may take longer to appear.