Healthy Life Virginia offers news and notes to improve your body, mind and spirit.
Orange vegetable coconut curry soup
This recipe comes from the King George Farmers Market’s “Fields to Table Cookbook,” which cites market manager DeLaura Padovan as the source.
- carrots (see directions to get a sense of how many)
- winter squash
- sweet potatoes
- 1-2 large onions
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- 2-3 tablespoons of butter (you can substitute olive oil)
- 1 can of coconut milk (can use low-fat)
- curry powder, cumin and turmeric to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash the vegetables, chopping into 2-inch chunks, until you have 4-6 cups of veggies.
- Saute garlic and 1-2 big onions in the butter (or oil) in a heavy-bottomed soup pot. When they’re tender, add the orange vegetables with just enough water to cover.
- Cook until the veggies are tender, stirring from time to time.
- When the veggies are soft and ready, scoop them out of the pot and puree in a blender, food processor or by hand with a potato masher.
- Return the puree to the liquid in the pot and add a can of coconut milk. (To get the desired consistency, you may need to add a little water if the soup ends up too thick.)
- Season with curry powder, cumin and turmeric to taste. Salt and pepper are optional.
1. Be respectful. No personal attacks.
2. Please avoid offensive, vulgar, abusive, hateful or defamatory language.
3. Read and follow THE RULES.
4. Please notify us by flagging posts that are inappropriate.
Posts that include links, and posts from users with unverified e-mail addresses may take longer to appear.