Lindley Estes writes about Spotsylvania County schools, King George County Schools and other issues of interest to the community.
You can also follow her on Twitter @SpotSchoolNews
Bus delays possible during first few weeks of school
Spotsylvania County Schools reminded parents in an alert yesterday that buses may be delayed during the first few weeks of school as students are learning which bus to ride and rosters are being double checked before the buses depart each afternoon. They also provided information about contacting their transportation department and bus safety tips.
Here is the text of the alert sent out to parents:
“If parents have questions or concerns about their child’s bus they can call the transportation hot line number at 540-582-5125 option 5.
To help keep your child safe, please keep the following safety tips in mind:
- Have your children put everything they carry in a backpack or school bag so that they won´t drop things along the way.
- Make sure they leave home on time so they can walk to the bus stop and arrive before the bus is due.
- Walk your young child to the bus stop and have older children walk in groups. There is safety in numbers; groups are easier for drivers to see.
- Stop and look left, right and then left again if you must cross the street. Do the same thing at driveways and alleys. Exaggerate your head turns and narrate your actions so your child knows you are looking left, right and left.
- Don´t let your child play running games or push and shove at the bus stop. It is dangerous near traffic.
- Make sure your child stands at least 10 feet (5 giant steps) from the road while waiting for the bus. The child will then be out of the way of traffic. Have younger children practice taking 5 giant steps to become familiar with 10 feet.”