This blog is maintained by the public information office of Germanna Community College.
State to host Suicide Prevention Summit at GCC Center for Workforce & Community Education Building at Fredericksburg Campus in Massaponax on May 25
You are invited to attend a Suicide Prevention Summit at Germanna Community College’s Center for Workforce & Community Education Building on the Fredericksburg Campus at Massaponax on May 25, 2011. In the morning presenters will be sharing:
- Current data and the impact of suicide in each region;
- Information about free suicide prevention education, training, and resources;
- A survivor’s story; and
- Information on services and supports available to veterans through the Virginia Wounded Warrior Program.
During the afternoon of each summit, participants will work with others from their community to identify needs related to suicide and to develop a plan to address suicide prevention in their community.
All community members are welcome, especially:
- Mental Health Professionals (public or private)
- First Responders and Law Enforcement Personnel
- Suicide Survivors/Family Members
- Faith Based Community Members
- Local Health Districts and Local Departments of Social Services Personnel
- School Personnel
- Medical Professionals
- Professionals working with older adults
- Representatives of organizations focused on suicide prevention
- Community Members
Since the afternoon of the summits are focused on community planning, you are strongly encouraged to attend a summit within the region in which you live or work. The opportunity to network and plan with peers from your area will be more valuable to you and we would like to make limited space available to members of the same communities.
There is a $15 fee per person to attend.
These summits are open to everyone in the community. Since the afternoon of the summits are focused on community planning, you are strongly encouraged to attend a summit within the region in which you live or work. The opportunity to network and plan with peers from your area will be more valuable to you and we would like to make limited space available to members of the same comunities.
The above registration link will contain more detailed information about the summits, a sample agenda and directions.
Local contact for the Fredericksburg Suicide Summit:
Drug Free Community
Bragg Hill Community Coalition
Bragg Hill Family Life Center
400 Bragg Hill Drive
Fredericksburg, VA 22401
Source: The Virginia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services