FLS reporter Katie Thisdell serves up news on local food finds, tales from home cooks and inspiration to help you have fun in your own kitchen.
Wegmans tops Consumer Reports grocery list
Wegmans, which has a store in Fredericksburg, scored the highest marks in the survey. Trader Joe’s, a store that is one of the most-wished-for retailers by readers who respond to our own surveys, came in second.
You can read about the survey here (subscription required). Consumer Reports research uncovered a few interesting tidbits about our relationship with our grocery store:
- The biggest reason respondents gave for “firing” a grocery store and switching to another was the search for lower prices. Next came bad food, then rude employees, then crowds.
- When we complain about our supermarket of choice, our biggest gripe is usually that not enough checkout lanes are open.
- WalMart Supercenter, which has several locations in our area, had the most shoppers in the survey, and scores highly for its low prices. However, it was also the most-criticized chain, receiving gripes about lack of open checkouts, out-of-stock items, rude employees, spotty pricing and a confusing layout.
- Food for thought: If you get in a checkout line with more than five people in front of you, you are a lot more likely to buy a candy bar you don’t need.
Here are the scores of several chains in our area, and the areas where they were praised and criticized.
Wegmans (top chain): Reader score 88; highest rating for service, perishables and cleanliness, good rating for prices.
Trader Joe’s (No. 2 chain): Reader score 86; highest rating for service, price and cleanliness, good rating for perishables.
Aldi: Reader score 79; Good ratings for prices, average on service, perishables.
Target: Reader score 78; good ratings for price, cleanliness; average for service, perishables.
Virginia Giant: Reader score 74; Good rating for cleanliness; average on service, perishables, price.
Food Lion: Reader score 73; average in all areas.
WalMart Supercenter: Reader score 69; Good ratings for prices; Bad ratings for service, perishables.
1. Be respectful. No personal attacks.
2. Please avoid offensive, vulgar, abusive, hateful or defamatory language.
3. Read and follow THE RULES.
4. Please notify us by flagging posts that are inappropriate.
Posts that include links, and posts from users with unverified e-mail addresses may take longer to appear.