FLS reporter Katie Thisdell serves up news on local food finds, tales from home cooks and inspiration to help you have fun in your own kitchen.
What’s coming up: Fennel
The Free Lance-Star food section and the Front Burner blog are reviving a popular feature from years past. Each week we will feature a vegetable or fruit that is in season in our area and offer tips on selection and cooking. Here on the blog, please feel free to offer your own serving suggestions for these seasonal delights!
This week’s feature: Fennel
When it’s fresh here: Fall through spring
Fun fact: Fennel is used as a flavoring in some natural toothpastes.
Pick and choose: Look for clean, firm white bulbs with no bruising, spotting or splitting. Green stalks should be attached, with no signs of flowering buds at the top.
Quick serving ideas:
- Sliced very thinly, raw fennel makes a nice addition to a winter salad, and pairs well with other crunch fare like celery or Granny Smith apples. Add another seasonal delight—pomegranate seeds—for color.
- Make a salsa of diced raw fennel and segmented citrus fruit to spoon atop grilled fish.
- Roasted or grilled fennel slices make a nice side dish or addition to pasta dishes.
1. Be respectful. No personal attacks.
2. Please avoid offensive, vulgar, abusive, hateful or defamatory language.
3. Read and follow THE RULES.
4. Please notify us by flagging posts that are inappropriate.
Posts that include links, and posts from users with unverified e-mail addresses may take longer to appear.