FLS reporter Katie Thisdell serves up news on local food finds, tales from home cooks and inspiration to help you have fun in your own kitchen.
What’s coming up: Blackberries
The Free Lance-Star food section and the Front Burner blog are reviving a popular feature from years past. Each week we will feature a vegetable or fruit that is in season in our area and offer tips on selection and cooking. Here on the blog, please feel free to offer your own serving suggestions for these seasonal delights!
When it’s fresh here: July and August
Fun fact: The English call these “brambleberries.”
Pick and choose: Look for plump berries that are fully black. If picking your own, remember that ripe berries should come off the stem with just a light tug; if you have to twist, that berry’s probably not ready yet.
Quick serving ideas:
- Don’t rinse blackberries until just before serving.
- Try a freezer jam recipe. Most call for only berries, sugar and fruit pectin available from the supermarket, and involve minimal cooking. This is a good option for those intimidated by the process of traditional canning.
- Add a handful of fresh blackberries to your favorite vinaigrette recipe, and process the dressing in a blender to add a summer twist to your next salad.
1. Be respectful. No personal attacks.
2. Please avoid offensive, vulgar, abusive, hateful or defamatory language.
3. Read and follow THE RULES.
4. Please notify us by flagging posts that are inappropriate.
Posts that include links, and posts from users with unverified e-mail addresses may take longer to appear.