FLS reporter Katie Thisdell serves up news on local food finds, tales from home cooks and inspiration to help you have fun in your own kitchen.
Whats coming up: Kohlrabi
The Free Lance-Star food section and the Front Burner blog are reviving a popular feature from years’ past. Each week we will feature a vegetable or fruit that is in season in our area and offer tips on selection and cooking. Here on the blog, please feel free to offer your own serving suggestions for these seasonal delights!
This week’s feature: Kohlrabi
When it’s fresh here: Now through June, and then again in the fall.
Fun fact: Kohlrabi is from the same family as cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, collard greens and Brussels sprouts.
Pick and choose: Look for bulbs no bigger than 2 inches in diameter. If they’re too big, the skin gets tough and the inside develops a woody texture.
Quick serving ideas:
- Steam as you would broccoli. The flavor and texture of kohlrabi are similar to broccoli stems.
- Use in your favorite curry recipe in place of potatoes, squash or another vegetable. Kohlrabi can be found in many Eastern cuisines.
- Kohlrabi is perfectly fine eaten raw in salads or with dips.
1. Be respectful. No personal attacks.
2. Please avoid offensive, vulgar, abusive, hateful or defamatory language.
3. Read and follow THE RULES.
4. Please notify us by flagging posts that are inappropriate.
Posts that include links, and posts from users with unverified e-mail addresses may take longer to appear.