Amy Umble writes about family issues and kid-friendly events.
RELATED: Fredericksburg Christmas Parade route and planning details.
On Saturday, I posted about holiday traditions, and asked you to send in your favorites. I’d still love to hear about yours. Perhaps there’s a local event you never miss? Here are a few family-friendly holiday events coming to the area this week:
- Live Nativity, Mount Olympus Berry Farm, U.S. 1 just north of Carmel Church. Biblical attire, rustic scenes and live animals. Presented by Cardinal Baptist Church, Ruther Glen. Runs every 20 minutes, 6:30–8:30 p.m. Runs through Dec. 2. 804/994-2208.
- Christmas Parade and Illumination Walk, Main Street, Old Town Warrenton. The parade will begin at Sixth Street and proceed west down Main Street to Pelham Street. 6 p.m. The Christmas tree lighting at the Old Courthouse and the opening of GumDrop Square will immediately following parade.Click here for details.
- Gingerbread House Contest and Exhibit: “Songs of the Holidays,” Historic Kenmore, 1201 Washington Ave. Opens at noon today and then runs daily 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Exhibit and tour of Kenmore: Adults $10, students $5, under age 6 free. Exhibit only: Adults $5, students $2.50. Runs through Dec. 30. 540/370-0732.
- 27th annual Pancake Feast, Fredericksburg Baptist Church (Caroline Street entrance). Sponsored by Rappahannock Rotary. 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. $5, under age 5 free. 540/846-9790.
- Fredericksburg Jaycees Christmas Parade, downtown Fredericksburg. Marching bands and units, floats, Santa. 5:30 p.m. Click here for details.
- Spotsylvania County Christmas Parade, starts at Spotsylvania Middle School, 1 p.m.
- Celebrating the Spirit in Orange, Orange High School, 201 Selma Road. Holiday music by Shady Grove Baptist Church and Little Zion Baptist Church. 5 p.m. Click here for details.
- 17th annual “Santaland,” 9441 Kings Highway (across from the OPP Shop), King George. Visit Santa and Mrs. Santa, storytime by the Snow Queen, Kids Only Shop, White Elephant sale. Sponsored by Woman’s Club of King George. 9 a.m. to noon. $1.
- “Clara’s Tale Ballet,” James Monroe High School, 2300 Washington Ave. Based on The Nutcracker with a few twists and turns. Presented by Amyclae Dance Academy. 7 p.m. Adults $14, youth $10, ages 3 and younger free. 540/657-1744; Click here for details.
- Santa Strolls Downtown, noon to 2 p.m.; pictures taken at the Richard Johnston Inn, 711 Caroline St., Fredericksburg 2:30–4:30 p.m. Free. 540/899-7606; click here for details.
- Children’s Christmas Party, 1204 American Legion Road, Fredericksburg. 2 to 4 p.m. with puppet show at 3 p.m. Santa Claus, refreshments, games. Bring your camera. Sponsored by Stafford American Legion Post 290. Free. 540/659-4461.