The Doing Good blog follows area charities and social service agencies.
About Amy Umble: Amy Umble writes about religion and social issues affecting the Fredericksburg community.
Upcoming fundraisers to help the Avery family
There are several fundraisers coming up for the Avery family, who lost their home and their possessions in a fire March 31. That fire also took the life of the family’s youngest child, 6-month-old Eleanor Mae.
Here are some ways you can help the Avery family:
- Wednesday, April 16 – Chick-Fil-A on Rt 17, sponsored by the Curtis Park swim team. All proceeds from purchases made between 5-8 p.m. will help the family. Please mention the Avery family when paying.
- Saturday, April 19, 5:30-7:30 p.m. Cavalier Family Skating Center will donate all proceeds from skating admission and rentals to Avery Family Fire Relief. The skating center is at 1920 Jefferson Davis Highway in Stafford.
- May 1- 4 – Chili’s and Margaret Brent Elementary School PTO will team up to hold a fundraiser for the Avery family. On these days, all three Chili’s restaurants in the Fredericksburg area will donate 20 percent of food and drink sales to the family’s relief fund. More details will come later.
- May 17 – Community Yard Sale at Cardinal Forest subdivision pool house. More details will follow on this sale. To donate items to the sale, check out the family relief fund’s Facebook site.
- The family’s older children attended Margaret Brent Elementary School, which is offering some other ways to help the family. The school is collecting change during this week’s book sale, to buy some books for the children, who lost all of their books in the fire. The school is also helping with the Avery Family Photo Project. Since the family lost their family photos in the fire, there is an effort to compile pictures of the family.
- Can’t attend a fundraiser but still want to help the family? You can mail donations to: Avery Family Fire Relief; c/o Wells Fargo, Celebrate Virginia Branch; 35 Banks Ford Pkwy; Fredericksburg, Va. 22406