The Doing Good blog follows area charities and social service agencies.
About Amy Umble: Amy Umble writes about religion and social issues affecting the Fredericksburg community. You can email her at email@example.com.
Learn more about adoption
Children’s Home Society of Virginia will host an adoption seminar Saturday Nov. 3, 1:30 P.M.- 4:30 P.M. This seminar is for families and professionals who want to learn more about legal steps in the adoption process.
Adoption attorney Stan Phillips will cover a variety of topics, including:
- Legal procedures and agency placements: CHS’ role versus the adoptive family attorney’s role, birth parent rights in legal risk placements, steps to terminate the rights of an unknown or un-locatable father, revocation periods for birth parents, and how to obtain an amended birth certificate with an adoptive child’s new name.
- Legal procedures in parental placements: CHS’s involvement, identifying an adoption attorney, adoption attorney’s role, out-of-state adoption facilitators, revocation periods for birth families, birth parents rights, and visitation after placement agreements.
- Interstate compact adoptions for out-of-state children placed in Virginia adoptive homes: reports and requirements.
- Legal procedures in international adoptions once the child is in the U.S.: attorney roles and re-adoption rules and steps.
- Adoption tax credit: application, documentation, and receipt of credit.
- Subsidy: types and how to apply.
The seminar will be held at the agency’s Fredericksburg office, 2300 Fall Hill Avenue Suite # 315, and will cost $10 to attend. Check, cash, or credit card payment due by Oct. 25.