The Doing Good blog follows area charities and social service agencies.

About Amy Umble: Amy Umble writes about religion and social issues affecting the Fredericksburg community. You can email her at

RSS feed of this blog

Tax day approaches

The deadline is coming up soon to file your taxes. If you haven’t filed yet, I’m right there with you.

If you need assistance filing taxes but can’t afford it, the Rappahannock United Way can help. They have several sites throughout the area where trained volunteers will help you file your taxes for free. Tax sites will be open through April 17.

More than 750 area residents have had their taxes filed for free through the program. This includes Janine Prevaux, who works at Rappahannock Goodwill Industries assembling baseball cards and other donated items.

Prevaux also participates in the Rappahannock Area Community Services Board’s supervised apartment program for adults with intellectual disabilities. Prevaux and 12 other program participants had their taxes filed for free this year, thanks to the United Way’s annual program.

Tracy Smith runs the supervised apartment program and this year he worked with tax site coordinators to open a site at the program office, making it easy for the participants to have their taxes filed.

“Every little bit helps, especially with these folks,” Smith said.

The tax help is available to area residents who make $50,000 or less annually. Tax sites will be open Mondays, 5-8 p.m. at the England Run Library; Tuesdays 5-8 p.m. at the headquarters of the Central Rappahannock Regional Library; Wednesdays, 1-5 p.m. at the United Way office and 5-8 p.m. at the Porter Library; and Saturdays, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the United Way office. For a more complete listing, click here.

The Rappahannock United Way will also hold a free financial event on April 7 at the Central Rappahannock Library from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The event will feature financial advice and counseling, and free credit reports.

*Taxpayers must bring necessary documentation to receive assistance filing taxes:

  • Driver’s License or Photo Identification Card
  • Social Security card or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) for taxpayer and all dependents
  • Copies of all W2, 1098, 1099 forms
  • Amounts of any other income
  • Childcare provider’s name, address, and tax identification number
  • Amounts and dates of any estimated or other tax payments made.
  • Notice CP1378 or the amount of Economic Stimulus Payment received
  • Spouse in person, if filing jointly
  • Proof of account for direct deposit of refund (voided check)

For details, click here or call 540/373-0041.