The Doing Good blog follows area charities and social service agencies.
About Amy Umble: Amy Umble writes about religion and social issues affecting the Fredericksburg community.
More Than a Game
Mountain View High School’s baseball team now has $2,000 more, thanks to a local Verizon customer.
Sportskool, the free on-demand network dedicated to sports instruction and entertainment for the whole family and Verizon FiOS TV joined forces in the fall of 2010 to support youth sports and school athletic programs.
A series of 13 original programs targeting America’s 44 million youth sports families, called “Coaches and Parents: It’s More Than a Game” provided tips and strategies to help young athletes get the most out of sports at any age and every skill level. And Verizon FiOS TV customers were eligible for unlimited entries to win $2,000 for their favorite local youth sports organization or school athletic program.
“We at Sportskool are thrilled to announce the sweepstakes winners and congratulate them for everything they do to support youth sports in their community,” said Sportskool President Andrew Walworth.
“Sportskool presents our customers with valuable content and is a great resource for student athletes and their families. We congratulate the sweepstakes winners and wish them the best,” said Verizon director of FiOS TV product development Tricia Lynch.
Winners chosen from a national pool of Watch to Win Sweepstakes entrants selected a local youth sports organization or school athletic program to be the recipient of a $2,000 grant.
The Verizon winners and their designated organizations are:
- Shawn Beyer selected Special Olympics of Loudon County, VA
- Tiffany Reagan named the Long Island Inferno Baseball Team of Hicksville NY
- Richard Baca chose Redlands East Valley High School Wrestling of Redlands CA
- Antonio Paralitica elected North Kingstown High School Swim Team of Rhode Island
- Concessa Sullivan picked Mountain View High School Baseball of Stafford, VA
- Kira Farestad named Go for the Gold Gymnastics Team Parent Association of Whippany, NJ
- Donald Pray chose the Tonawanda Lightning Hockey Team of Tonawanda, NY