The Doing Good blog follows area charities and social service agencies.
About Amy Umble: Amy Umble writes about religion and social issues affecting the Fredericksburg community.
- Monday’s child is fair of face,
- Tuesday’s child is full of grace,
- Wednesday’s child is full of woe
- Thursday’s child has far to go,
- Friday’s child is loving and giving,
- Saturday’s child works hard for a living,
- But the child who is born on the Sabbath day
- Is bonny and blithe and good and gay.
- Often when news stations or papers introduce children available for adoption, they call them Wednesday’s children, based on the rhyme above.
- November is Adoption Awareness Month, and in Virginia, social services leaders want to get rid of that woe for more than 1,400 foster children available for adoption.
- So the Virginia Department of Social Services has launched a new page, so prospective parents can easily meet the kids waiting for adoption.
- And at The Free Lance-Star, we feature an available child each month. Our next one should be out sometime in the next week. We’ll be featuring Yesmine, a Henrico teen who loves to style hair.