The Doing Good blog follows area charities and social service agencies.
About Amy Umble: Amy Umble writes about religion and social issues affecting the Fredericksburg community.
Helping Haiti Today
I’ve been getting calls from area residents who want to send supplies to Haiti. Right now, most of these efforts are noble but impractical. It’s still tricky to get supplies into the island nation. But relief agencies are collecting health kits, zipper baggies filled with toothbrushes, washcloths, nail clippers and soap, among other supplies.
Want to help? Fredericksburg All Ages is collecting and assembling these kits today. Donate supplies by 2 p.m. Stop by at noon to help assemble kits. Bring supplies or volunteer at 208 William Street.
Here’s a list of what’s needed: (all of the items have to be NEW):
* hand towels (15" x 25" up to 17" x 27", No kitchen towels)
* combs (large and sturdy, not pocket-sized)
* nail files or fingernail clippers (no emery boards or toenail clippers)
* bath-size bars of soap (3 oz. and up)
* toothbrush (single brushes only in original wrapper, No child-size brushes)
* adhesive plastic strip sterile bandages
Can’t get the supplies downtown today? Ebenezer United Methodist Church in Stafford will collect the same items through Thursday, drop off 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. at the church, 161 Embrey Mill Road in Stafford. Want more details? Go online, email email@example.com or call 703/497-7878.
Wilderness Community Church in Spotsylvania County is also collecting and assembling health kits. To help: