Natatia Bledsoe is the public information officer for the Fredericksburg Police Department.
Police investigating assault by mob
Sunoco, 2307 Jefferson Davis Hwy, 9/11 9:00 pm. Police responded for a report of a fight in the parking lot and found two male victims, one bleeding from a head injury and the other with an injury to his hand. Both subjects reported that they had been assaulted by a group of males and their injuries were caused by one of the assailants wielding a small bat. One of the victims further reported that he had been inside the store with his wife prior to the fight when the clerk told them that a male subject had just stolen a beer and could be seen running away across Route 1. The couple followed the shoplifter in their car and confronted him about the theft in front of Camden Hills Apartments. The couple retrieved the stolen beer and returned to the store.
A short time later, the shoplifting suspect and four other subjects came back to the business and started arguing with the couple in the parking lot. When the husband was struck in the back of the head with the bat, the second victim, also in the parking lot, ran over to offer assistance and call 911. He was struck by the assailant with the bat across the back of his hand, which caused him to involuntarily throw his cell phone. One of the suspects grabbed the cell phone, and all five of the suspects fled on foot from the scene. (The phone was later recovered in some bushes next to Route 1.) The second victim also reported that one of the assailants pulled out a large knife during the altercation. The two victims received treatment for their injuries at a local emergency medical facility.
The suspects were described as follows:
- Suspect #1 (shoplifter), black male 18-25 years of age, wearing a black shirt with white logo on the front, short hair
- Suspect #2, black male 18-25 years of age, shoulder length dreadlocks, armed with a small bat
- Suspect #3, light-skinned black male 18-25 years of age, armed with a knife, wearing a white T-shirt and had a very thin beard
- Suspect #4, black male 18-25 years of age, shoulder length dreadlocks, wearing a black and grey shirt and jeans
- Suspect #5, black male 18-25 years of age, wearing an orange shirt with a design on the front, short hair