This blog includes news about City Hall, city schools and other 22401 news.Pamela Gould reports on City Hall. You can reach her at 540-735-1972 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Robyn Sidersky reports on city schools. You can reach her at 540-374-5413 or email@example.com.
Visit our Facebook page.Follow @fxbgcitybeat
Riverfront Park discussion to continue in work session Tuesday
The City Council will pick up its discussion about Riverfront Park at its work session Tuesday, in addition to a presentation of a report on future parks and the use of city properties.
The discussion about Riverfront Park began at the last council meeting. There was an item on the meeting agenda to award the contract to design the park, but some council members thought more discussion was needed first.
In the regular meeting, the council will:
- See a presentation about school enrollment projections and facility needs from Doug Westmoreland, of Moseley Architects. (He presented this to the School Board in November.)
- See a presentation about the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report from Andrew Grossnickle of Robinson, Farmer, Cox Accountants
- Formally establish a sister city partnership with Schwetzingen, Germany. There will be visitors in town this week from there and the Lord Mayor from Schwetzingen will be at the meeting.
- The council will look at, on second reading, amending the budget to appropriate$1,740,600 in the transit fund for IT projects and replacement buses.
- Discuss accepting streets in the Idlewild neighborhood into the city’s street system and petitioning VDOT to accept the streets into the state street system.
- Discuss amending the contract for the widening of Fall Hill Avenue/Mary Washington Boulevard extension.
- Discuss goals and initiatives for the next two years, which the council prioritized at its recent retreat.
Here’s the rest of the agenda. Follow on here or on twitter (@fxbgcitybeat) for live updates.