This blog includes news about City Hall, city schools and other 22401 news.Pamela Gould reports on City Hall. You can reach her at 540-735-1972 or email@example.com. Robyn Sidersky reports on city schools. You can reach her at 540-374-5413 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit our Facebook page.Follow @fxbgcitybeat
School Board to discuss architectural study tonight
The Fredericksburg School Board approved commissioning a detailed architectural program review for each of the division’s buildings in September and at tonight’s meeting, it will receive an update on that report.
Doug Westmoreland, the vice-president of Moseley Architects, will provide the board with the update.
The review, which was expected to cost $22,000 to $25,000, was to look not only at classrooms, but also at other space needs such as cafeterias, restrooms and libraries, Superintendent David Melton said in September.
The city has five schools—Hugh Mercer Elementary, Lafayette Upper Elementary, Walker–Grant Middle, James Monroe High and the original Walker–Grant, which hosts a preschool.
One of the reasons behind the architectural study is the enrollment boom the school system has experienced over the last few years and it is likely to continue.
Fredericksburg city schools could have more than 500 additional students in the next five years, according to enrollment projections from the University of Virginia’s Weldon–Cooper Center.
Superintendent David Melton presented the enrollment projections to the School Board and City Council in September and said that an expansion may be necessary at Hugh Mercer Elementary School.
The School Board will also discuss designating money from the fund balance for capital improvements. The superintendent’s recommendations are:
- $300,000 to be designated to Hugh Mercer Construction Contracts
- $200,000 to be designated to Hugh Mercer Professional Services
- $75,000 to be designated to ADP Equipment Additions
- $8,000 to be designated to Mary Stadium Professional Services
- $5,084 to be designated to FCPS Maintenance and Equipment Replacement
- $5,000 to be designated to FCPS Roof Repairs
- $61,183 to be designated to Professional Services- fiber optic cabling to LUES and WGMS
The School Board will also:
- Hear an instructional presentation on summer school and proposed changes for next year
- Review the testing calendar
- Hear an update on the energy performance contracting process
- Hear a report on the general/operational fund and the special revenues/grants
- Discuss appointments to the Technology Advisory Committee
- Discuss a resolution regarding sequestration
The meeting begins at 7:30 p.m. in council chambers of City Hall. Follow this blog or @fxbgcitybeat on Twitter for live updates during the meeting.