This blog includes news about City Hall, city schools and other 22401 news.Pamela Gould reports on City Hall. You can reach her at 540-735-1972 or email@example.com. Robyn Sidersky reports on city schools. You can reach her at 540-374-5413 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit our Facebook page.Follow @fxbgcitybeat
Council approves participation in VDOT sharing program, other meeting highlights
Here’s what happened at the Fredericksburg City Council work session and meeting Tuesday night:
In the work session, the council discussed the most recent draft of the Unified Development Ordinance. There will be a public hearing on the proposed ordinance at the council’s meeting on Nov. 13. The council will discuss the UDO again in a work session on Nov. 27.
The ordinance combines the existing zoning and subdivision ordinances into a single plan. The existing regulations have not been updated in nearly 30 years.
The council also:
- Heard a presentation from Economic Development and Tourism Director Karen Hedelt about the city’s tourism zone. The presentation was about the findings of the Economic Development Authority’s advisory committee. (look for a story on this soon also).
- Gave the city manager the go-ahead to participate in the VDOT Revenue Sharing Plan. This will help make up for the funding gap the city is facing with the Fall Hill Avenue project and street paving projects. There’s a public hearing on the Fall Hill Avenue project from 5-8 p.m. on Oct. 30 at Lafayette Upper Elementary School.
- Approved 2.5 additional holidays for city employees: Christmas Eve, New Year’s Eve and a half day, the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.
- Reappointed Roy McAfee and Ed Whelan to the Planning Commission.
- Appointed Sarah King to the Community Policy and Management Team for Youth and Family Services
- Proclaimed November as Hospice Care Month
- Proclaimed the week of Oct.23-31 Red Ribbon Week