This blog includes news about City Hall, city schools and other 22401 news.Pamela Gould reports on City Hall. You can reach her at 540-735-1972 or email@example.com. Robyn Sidersky reports on city schools. You can reach her at 540-374-5413 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit our Facebook page.Follow @fxbgcitybeat
City Council preview: downtown rezoning, courthouse, birds and bees
The City Council will have work session at 5:30 p.m. to discuss two major aspects of the courthouse project: what to do with the General District Court building and life-cycle aspects of the project.
In the 7:30 meeting, there are several important items in front of the Council tonight: (Here is the full agenda)
- David Melton, superintendent of city schools will speak to the Council
- Charles McDaniel will make a presentation about dredging the Rappahannock River
- There are three public hearings related to rezoning downtown. They are: changing several properties from commercial-transitional to commercial-downtown, expanding the downtown parking district , and expanding the boundaries of the railroad overlay district
- There are five public hearings related to zoning permits for the construction of the new courthouse.
- The permits are for:
-A special-use permit to construct the new building in the historic district.
-A special-use permit to put a new motor vehicle curb cut for access to the basement.
-A special-exception to use existing off-site parking resources instead of providing parking on-site.
-A special-exception to the floor-area-ratio of 3.5, instead of the maximum of 3.0 in the commercial-downtown district.
-A special exception for the amount of usable floor area permitted in the building and the area of the lot on which the building stands.
-A special exception to construct the new building at 57 feet, instead of the maximum of 50 feet in the commercial-downtown district.
- Second reading of ordinance allowing the raising of chickens and honeybees
- Second reading of ordinance setting permanent rules for campaign signs on public property
Follow live coverage on Twitter: @fxbgcitybeat