This blog includes news about City Hall, city schools and other 22401 news.Pamela Gould reports on City Hall. You can reach her at 540-735-1972 or email@example.com. Robyn Sidersky reports on city schools. You can reach her at 540-374-5413 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit our Facebook page.Follow @fxbgcitybeat
Work session will address possible changes to courthouse project
The City Council will meet with city staff and the First Choice team to discuss the courthouse project in a work session at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday.
The city received design documents for review last week and this provides “an opportunity for the City to either commit to the current design or seek changes,” according to a memo from City Attorney Kathleen Dooley.
The memo provides an update on where the project stands, what has been submitted to the city, what the city has paid First Choice to date and design options the council will discuss Tuesday, among other things.
The following design options and cost models will be presented to the council at the work session:
- Two-story Circuit Court building (with basement) in lieu of a three-story structure
- Minor renovation to the General District Court building in lieu of major renovation
- One unfinished courtroom in the current design of the new courthouse
- Break out Circuit Court records and archives record space
- Alternative footprint and exterior elevation for the design
- Convert fourth courtroom to Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court use, consolidating all three courts in one building
Tuesday’s meeting is open to the public. It’s in the second-floor large conference room in City Hall at 715 Princess Anne St.