This blog includes news about City Hall, city schools and other 22401 news.Pamela Gould reports on City Hall. You can reach her at 540-735-1972 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Robyn Sidersky reports on city schools. You can reach her at 540-374-5413 or email@example.com.
Visit our Facebook page.Follow @fxbgcitybeat
Morning Buzz – May 28, 2010
A daily digest of what’s going on in Fredericksburg, and what news from elsewhere is relevant here. Send suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Twenty-two city residents graduated from the Fredericksburg Police Department’s inaugural Citizens Academy Wednesday night. The department posted a graduation picture on its Facebook page.
Interesting (in a bad way) story from Buena Vista. That city has declined to raise taxes or cut costs to make an upcoming payment on $9.2 million in debt for a municipal golf course built in 2004. (This was originally pitched by developers as a public-private partnership, but became a money-losing municipal project.) Just like homeowners who don’t make their mortgage payments, Buena Vista faces the loss of its city hall, golf course and police station if it doesn’t come up with a July payment. The Roanoke Times reports here, and there’s more detail in this story from the News-Gazette.
Have a safe and happy Memorial Day weekend. Here’s what you need to know about city services:
City offices will be closed Monday, May 31st. Monday and Tuesday’s trash and recycling changes will be as follows:
- There will be no trash or recycling pick up on Monday, May 31st.
- Monday’s trash will be picked up on Tuesday, June 1st.
- Tuesday’s trash will be picked up on Wednesday, June 2nd.
- Both Monday and Tuesday’s recycling will be picked up on
Tuesday, June 1st.
- Wednesday through Friday, all collections will proceed as usual.
- The Belman Rd Recycling Center and the Stafford Landfill will be closed Monday, May 31st. Both will resume normal operations Tuesday, June 1st, 8am-5pm.
And don’t forget about the closure of the intersection of Kenmore Avenue and William Street, starting Tuesday.