This blog includes news about City Hall, city schools and other 22401 news.Pamela Gould reports on City Hall. You can reach her at 540-735-1972 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Robyn Sidersky reports on city schools. You can reach her at 540-374-5413 or email@example.com.
Visit our Facebook page.Follow @fxbgcitybeat
Election 2010: Who wants to be a City Councilman (or -woman)?
Election day: May 4
Candidate filing deadline: March 2
Last day to register to vote: April 12
Likely campaign issues: Real estate tax rate…city contribution to schools…plans for a $40 million courthouse complex…land purchases and other spending on the downtown riverfront park…2011 budget (which will be decided by the current council in the heat of election season): service cuts vs. tax increases…economic development: incentives, and the kinds of jobs the city is able to attract…reinvigorating Central Park, downtown…the future of Celebrate Virginia, Fall Hill Avenue…add your own in the comments…
- If you’re considering running, check out the State Board of Elections’ candidate information packet to learn about all the various forms you’ll need to file.
- Matt Kelly is not running again. For sure. Definitely. Even if the only candidate to step forward in Ward 3 is Oscar the Grouch, he has assured me he will not make another run.
- Listen to entire interviews with the 2006 ward candidates here, and the 2008 at-large candidates here. (I plan to bring School Board candidates in for similar, taped interviews this year, as they have been added to my beat.)
- In the months to come, send your suggestions for candidate interview questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Potential candidates: This is not a heavy press town. There is no need to spend money on a big announcement to show off for one member of the press, and we’re not bringing cameras to take a picture of you behind a podium. Just give me a call and we’ll have coffee and talk about what you want to do. 540/374-5413. And if you really want to be on the ball, you can go ahead and fill out the candidate questionnaire that we distribute to all candidates for state and local offices, which can be found here.
Happy election year!