This blog includes news about City Hall, city schools and other 22401 news.Pamela Gould reports on City Hall. You can reach her at 540-735-1972 or email@example.com. Robyn Sidersky reports on city schools. You can reach her at 540-374-5413 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit our Facebook page.Follow @fxbgcitybeat
*Intersection of Charles and Dixon streets closed*
A major sanitary sewer line burst under Charles Street last night (I know, ewww…) and as a result, the intersection of Charles, Princess Anne and Dixon streets will be closed at least through Sunday. Here’s how city public works officials are advising you to get around it:
- If you are trying to go south on either Charles or Princess Anne to take Routes 2 & 17 (In other words, if you are going out of town):
- Take Lafayette Boulevard south from either Charles or Princess Anne to the Blue and Gray Parkway.
- Turn left onto the Parkway.
- Take the ramp from Blue and Gray to southbound Dixon Street.
- If you are trying to go north on Dixon Street into downtown, things are a little easier. Just stay in the right lane before you get to the intersection with Charles Street and turn right at the intersection to proceed to Caroline Street. Turn left on Caroline and you’re headed downtown.
The sewer line is about 18 feet underground, so it could take a while to dig down to it and fix it. Public works officials are projecting this detour will remain in effect through Sunday.