This blog includes news about City Hall, city schools and other 22401 news.Pamela Gould reports on City Hall. You can reach her at 540-735-1972 or email@example.com. Robyn Sidersky reports on city schools. You can reach her at 540-374-5413 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit our Facebook page.Follow @fxbgcitybeat
Before the day is completely given up for basketball, a few notes on what’s coming next Tuesday:
- The council will sit down for its first work session on the proposed 2009 budget.
- At the 7:30 p.m. meeting, there’ll be a public hearing (but no vote) on the proposed ordinance "prohibiting new development that is out of character with existing neighborhood structures." Read our story on this here, and the city’s memo here.
- Council members will look at the details (again, no vote) of a proposal to grant incentives to Kybecca, which is building a wine and tapas bar next to its William Street wine shop. Check tomorrow’s business section for more on that. For background, read this.
- Now that the city police have moved out to their new digs on Cowan Boulevard, there’s a plan to renovate the space they once occupied on Princess Anne Street to accommodate several city offices. The upfit would cost $75,000, but would save the city more than $18,000 in annual rent it is currently paying for the city attorney’s space. See the details here. This will be up for a vote Tuesday.
- It’s springtime, and there’s an election in less than two months. You never know what else might come up, so keep reading. Happy bracket-tracking.