The CHALKBOARDOctober 31st, 2012, 10:41 am
Free Lance-Star reporter Amy Umble covers Stafford County schools and other education issues
Halloween Safety Tips
The Stafford Sheriff’s Office offers these Halloween safety tips:
- Bring treats home before eating them so parents can inspect them.
- Have your name and address attached to your costume.
- Wear identification bracelets.
- Use flashlights.
- Walk through your neighborhood with others and do not stray from your group.
- Stay in your own neighborhood and trick-or-treat only at homes that have porch lights on.
- Never take shortcuts through back yards, alleys or parks.
- Never enter a home of a stranger or accept rides from strangers.
- Try to wear costumes made of white or light colored materials. If your costume is dark attach reflector tape on the costume to increase night time visibility.
- Young children should always be accompanied by an adult.
- Look in all directions before crossing a street and obey all traffic signals. Cross streets at the corner.
- Carry trick-or-treat bags that have strong straps or handles. This allows you to carry the bag with one hand leaving the other hand free.