Free Lance-Star reporter Amy Umble covers Stafford County schools and other education issues

RSS feed of this blog

No gas leak at NSHS

Fire and rescue officials have determined there was no gas leak at North Stafford High School last week.

Friday, the school was evacuated after student and staff noticed a gas-like smell following a chemistry experiment.

The propane tank fueling the chemistry classroom was nearly empty, said Mark Doyle, spokesman for the Stafford County Fire and Rescue Department.

Because the tank was low, an additive smelled especially strong. That additive is used to give propane an odor, so people would be able to recognize the invisible, odorless gas when it is in the air.