Archives

The CHALKBOARD

Free Lance-Star reporter Amy Umble covers Stafford County schools and other education issues

Share
RSS feed of this blog

UMW professor featured on NPR

We can file this post under things that prove 1. that I’m old and 2. that I’ve lived in the area too long.

Quite a number of years ago, I wrote for The Lightning Bolt, the Chancellor High School newspaper. And while there, a Mary Washington College professor came to speak to English classes. I interviewed him and wrote a story. And here I am writing about Bruce O’Brien again.

NPR featured O’Brien’s recent project on Early English laws. O’Brien has been collecting and translating laws from before 1225. And he’s cataloging them online.   

Here is an excerpt from the NPR story:

As fundamental as the Magna Carta is to our political system, Bruce O’Brien, a University of Mary Washington scholar, says that nobody really knows exactly what the original document actually said, because every version is different. The same is true for English laws that came before the Magna Carta.

O’Brien received a doctorate, master of philosophy degree and master of arts degree from Yale University, and a bachelor’s degree from St. Olaf College. He is the author of “God’s Peace and King’s Peace: The Laws of Edward the Confessor” and “Reversing Babel: Translation among the English during an Age of Conquests, c. 800 to c.1200.” O’Brien is past president of the Charles Homer Haskins Society, a member of the Medieval Academy of America and a fellow of the Royal Historical Society.

Permalink: http://news.fredericksburg.com/chalkboard/2012/02/23/umw-professor-featured-on-npr/