Free Lance-Star reporter Amy Umble covers Stafford County schools and other education issues
Brooke Point student hospitalized after taking prescription drug
A Brooke Point High School junior was taken to a hospital yesterday during a field trip in Washington after taking a prescription drug provided by a classmate, a school spokeswoman said.
Another student was hospitalized for flu-like symptoms during the same trip, Stafford County school spokeswoman Valerie Cottongim said. That student had not taken drugs.
Both students were back in school today, Cottongim said.
The students’ were on a junior class field trip to the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum.
The AP reported that two students had been taken to a hospital because of a recreational drug overdose. Cottongim could confirm only one, who she said had a “bad reaction” to a prescription drug.