Free Lance-Star reporter Robyn Sidersky covers Caroline County government and schools. You can reach her at 540/374-5413 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You can follow coverage on Facebook or Twitter as well.
Attendance “very high” first weekend of State Fair
Here’s what attendance was like the last few years of the fair, according to Greg Hicks, Vice President of Communications for the Virginia Farm Bureau Federation.
- 2012 attendance – 160,000 (MEP)
- 2011 attendance – 268,930 (MEP)
- 2010 attendance – 225,924 (Meadow Event Park)
- 2009 attendance – 247,958 (Meadow Event Park)
- 2008 attendance – 242,236 (RIR)
- 2007 attendance – 269,863 (RIR)
Here are some other numbers for this year’s State Fair:
- 55 rides
- 25 games
- 224 vendors
- More than 20 shows and attractions
- 1,600 livestock (cows, pigs, goats, horses, sheep, poultry, dairy cows and lambs in 4H, FFA and Open shows)
- 700 4H, FFA students as well as adults competing in these.
- The students are competing for nearly $100,000 in scholarship money.
- More than 10,000 school children attending the Educational Exposition, which is an SOL-approved program. Students come from as far away as Grundy in Buchanan County, Accomack County and even West Virginia.