Free Lance-Star reporter Robyn Sidersky covers Caroline County government and schools. You can reach her at 540/374-5413 or email@example.com. You can follow coverage on Facebook or Twitter as well.
Caroline County recognizes teachers of the year
At Monday’s Caroline County School Board meeting, the county’s school system recognized teachers of the year from each school and retiring teachers.
The retiring teachers are:
The teachers of the year are:
Bowling Green Primary School- Jessica Pollard – Special Education Teacher (12 years of experience)
Bowling Green Elementary School- Rebecca Eastman – Special Education Teacher (6 years of experience)
Lewis and Clark Elementary School- Courtney Lander – 4th Grade Language Arts Teacher (8 years of experience)
Madison Elementary School-Shelly Beale – Kindergarten Teacher (8 years of experience)
Caroline Middle School-Mary Beth Firmin – 8th Grade History/Civics Teacher (10 years of experience)
Caroline High School-Kent Flippen – Mathematics Teacher(26 years of experience)
The 2013 Caroline County Public Schools Novice Teacher of the Year is Kisha Garrick.
The Support Staff Person of the Year award recipients are:
Fern Wilcox- PreKindergarten teacher at Bowling Green Primary
• Gladys Whitener- head custodian at Bowling Green Elementary
• Isabel Rivera-special education paraprofessional at Madison Elementary
• Elsa Monroe- custodian to Lewis and Clark Elementary
• Shermeka Baker-Latney- in-school suspension coordinator at Caroline
• Helen Jones- office manager and secretary at Caroline High
• Melanie Terrell- division payroll specialist at School Board Office
• Frank Carneal- maintenance technician at Maintenance
• Gertie Bowman- bus driver at Transportation
The winner of the 2013 Support Staff of the Year Award is Shermeka Baker Latney.