No charges expected in Robert Wood Jr. case
The investigation into the disappearance of a Caroline County boy with autism is coming to an end.
Capt. Mike Trice of the Hanover County Sheriff’s Office said today that the investigation into the Robert Wood Jr. case is winding down and no charges are expected.
He said more information will be released Thursday morning.
Trice also confirmed that Robert is 8 years old, and will turn 9 on Nov. 22. There had been conflicting information regarding his age.
Robert went missing after he wandered off on Oct. 23 while walking along a trail in North Anna Battlefield Park in Doswell with his father, his younger brother, Ryan, and his father’s girlfriend. Ryan, 7, also has autism.
Robert “Robbie” Wood Sr., 34, said he tried to run after the boy but eventually lost sight of him.
For six days and five nights, law enforcement agencies and fire, rescue and military personnel, joined by 6,000 volunteers from as far away as Alaska, searched for the boy, who has autism and doesn’t talk.
He was found near a rock quarry Friday afternoon by an unofficial male volunteer, who wishes to remain anonymous.
According to his father, Robert is doing well and recovering at VCU Medical Center in Richmond. In a rare instance, his father said the usually non-verbal boy even spoke a few words this week.