Electrical surges cause two Caroline house fires
One home was completely destroyed and another was damaged in two separate structural fires in Caroline County Tuesday morning.
According to Caroline Fire Investigator Brian Russell, units responded to a call at 5:28 a.m. about a structure fire at 12063 Jesse Lane in Ruther Glen.
The first unit arrived within 19 minutes and found heavy fire coming from the rear of the two story house.
It took nearly an hour to bring the fire under control, Russell said.
He said the home was a total loss and no one was hurt. One person was displaced.
A second fire was reported Tuesday at 7:28 a.m. at 22531 Tidewater Trail in Rappahannock Academy.
The first unit arrived seven minutes to find a one story single-family home with heavy smoke coming a window, Russell said.
It took about 25 minutes for six units to bring the fire under control.
Damage was confined to a master bedroom, but the home was deemed unsafe, he said. Two residents were displaced.
Russell said the cause of the both fires was determined to be caused by an electrical surge.
The American Red Cross is assisting those that were displaced in both fires.
Russell asked that residents be mindful of appliances that may have been left on while power is being restored. Unattended items, like stoves, can cause fires, he said.