Free Lance-Star reporter Robyn Sidersky covers Caroline County government and schools. You can reach her at 540/374-5413 or email@example.com. You can follow coverage on Facebook or Twitter as well.
No one injured in Ruther Glen house fire
David Layman, Fire – EMS Chief
Office: (804)633-9831 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Structure Fire – 26728 Slash Pine Circle
The Caroline County Department of Fire-Rescue responded to structure fire at 26728 Slash Pine Circle early this morning (Feb. 3, 2011). The call was received at 3:06 am and fire-rescue units from Ladysmith, Bowling Green, Frog Level, as well as the Caroline County Sheriff’s Office were dispatched. The first unit arrived 7 minute later to find smoke showing and fire coming from the crawl space of a single family dwelling. Additional resources were requested from Fort AP Hill and Hanover County Fire Departments.
It took firefighters approximately 30 minutes to bring the fire under control. The fire originated in the floor mounted furnace which was located in the hallway. The cause was determined to be electrical in nature and damage was accessed at approximately $18,000.
The occupant self-evacuated from the affected structure with no injuries after being alerted by an operational smoke detector. The fire damage was confined to the hallway and crawl space under the house. The remainder of the structure suffered minor smoke damage. The structure was deemed unsafe and one adult was displaced. The occupants made arrangements to stay with friends and did not require any assistance.
The Caroline County Department of Fire-Rescue wants to reiterate the life saving value of properly installed and operable smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors in the home.