Save Our Food summer festival offers farm fresh family fun
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Sean Ryan
Save Our Food Summer Festival Offers Farm Fresh Family Fun
Farmers’ Market, BBQ Cook-off, Live Music, Kids’ Zone All Part of July 25th Event
GOOCHLAND, Va., July 19, 2010 – Take a large outdoor farmers’ market featuring fresh Virginia produce. Add in flavorful Virginia wines, specialty foods and a barbecue cook-off. Sprinkle in an entertaining and educational kids’ zone. And mix in a dash of live music.
That’s the recipe for the Save Our Food Summer Festival, a fun-filled family event that will run from noon to 6 p.m. on July 25 at the Farm Bureau Center exhibition hall at The Meadow Event Park in Caroline County. The indoor/outdoor event is free for Virginia Farm Bureau members and $10 per carload for nonmembers.
“The Save Our Food Summer Festival is our way of celebrating fresh, local food and other products that go hand in hand with summer in Virginia,” said Wayne F. Pryor, president of Virginia Farm Bureau. “We believe this event offers something for the entire family.”
The festival will feature indoor and outdoor components. Outside, guests can enjoy the farmers’ market and live music. They can cool down with Virginia wine, specialty foods and children’s activities inside the Farm Bureau Center.
• Large Outdoor Farmers’ Market – shop and visit with Virginia farmers (produce and farm fresh meat producers) who bring their offerings from the farm to your table.
• Indoor Virginia Wine and Specialty Food Showcase – taste some of Virginia’s finest wines and sample Virginia barbecue sauces, salsas, vinegars, cheeses, desserts and much more.
• Virginia Barbecue Cook-Off – watch five local barbecue masters work the grills to become the Save our Foods rib champion.
• Family Cool Zone and “Down on the Farm” Kids’ Area – youngsters can learn more about agriculture and healthy eating in an area produced by the Children’s Museum of Richmond.
• Live Music – Jackass Flats, Susan Greenbaum and the Venture Rays will entertain throughout the day.
The Save Our Food Festival is presented by Virginia Farm Bureau and sponsored by Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield, the Children’s Museum of Richmond, Flavor magazine, the Goochland Center for Rural Culture, Richmond magazine, WWBT-12, the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services and Virginia Farm Bureau Mutual Insurance Co.
About Virginia Farm Bureau Insurance
Founded in 1950, Virginia Farm Bureau Insurance is committed to providing products that best meet the insurance needs of Virginia’s families and small businesses. An organization with more than 148,000 members, Virginia Farm Bureau has offices that serve every county of the Commonwealth. When you choose Farm Bureau for your insurance, you become part of something bigger. In addition to great benefits, your membership helps us protect Virginia’s farms and ensure a safe, fresh and local food supply through the Save Our Food campaign. Visit Virginia Farm Bureau Insurance at FarmBureauAdvantage.com.