CAROLINE CROSSROADS Free Lance-Star reporter Robyn Sidersky covers Caroline County government and schools. You can reach her at 540/374-5413 or You can follow coverage on Facebook or Twitter as well.
RSS feed of this blog

Two displaced after house fire


David Layman, Fire – EMS Chief

Office: (804)633-9831 or email:

Structure Fire – 12223 Bunya Lane

The Caroline County Department of Fire-Rescue responded to structure fire at 12223 Bunya Lane late yesterday afternoon (June 23, 2010). The call was received at 3:42 PM and units from the Ladysmith VFD, Bowling Green VFD, Frog Level VFD, and Ladysmith VRS were dispatched. The first unit arrived 4 minutes later to find smoke coming from the gable end vents of single family dwelling.

Additional resources were requested from Sparta VFD, Frog Level VRS, and Hanover County. It took firefighters approximately 20 minutes to bring the fire under control. The fire originated in the wall of the living area. The cause was determined to an open flame near a combustible material and ruled accidental.

The occupant self-evacuated from the affected structure with minor burn injuries to the arm. The individual was treated and released at the scene. The fire damage was confined to the kitchen and den area; however, the remainder of the structure suffered heat and smoke damage. The family cat was safely removed by firefighters from the residence unharmed. The structure was deemed unsafe and two adults were displaced. The occupants made arrangements to stay with friends and did not require any assistance.

It did not appear the occupants had an operational smoke detector. The Department of Fire-Rescue wants to reiterate the life saving value of properly installed and operable smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors in the home.

Post tags: