February 21st, 2010, 1:19 pm
Free Lance-Star reporter Robyn Sidersky
covers Caroline County government and schools. You can reach her at 540/374-5413 or firstname.lastname@example.org
. You can follow coverage on Facebook
Scholarships available through VA Sheriff’s Institute
The Virginia Sheriffs’ Scholarship program was established to provide an opportunity for young people across Virginia to pursue an educational curriculum in criminal justice. Accordingly, the Board of Directors of the VSI has established the application process for students to receive scholarships to assist in their educational endeavors. The scholarships are available only to students in jurisdictions where sheriffs participated in the scholarship fund raising efforts (Caroline County qualifies). This program is limited to students attending Virginia colleges and universities.
2010 Scholarship Program Policies
- Eligibility: students must live in a locality where the sheriff is a member of the Virginia Sheriffs’ Institute and has authorized the Institute to conduct a direct mail special appeal to raise funds for the scholarship program. (Caroline County qualifies)
- Applications and the accompanying information must be filled out completely. The application is available for direct download by clicking here.
- Applications must be received in the Virginia Sheriffs’ Institute office by May 1, 2010. Postmarks will not be accepted; however, faxes will be. The deadline will be adhered to.
- Two types of scholarships will be awarded, one to full-time students and one to part-time students. All the scholarship awards to students will be consistent, i.e. all check amounts will be the same, depending on the type.
- Only majors in the criminal justice field will qualify for a scholarship. Those majoring in law or pursuing a career as a lawyer will not be considered a criminal justice major.
- Only students accepted to Virginia colleges and universities will be considered.
- Applications must be complete, or the student will not be considered.
- Checks will be mailed to the individual sheriffs’ offices by the end of May 2010.
- Checks will be made payable to the educational institution indicated on the application.
- Letters of rejection will be mailed to students directly from the VSI office.
- After completing your application, mail or bring it to the Caroline County Sheriff’s Office. Sheriff Lippa is required to write a reference letter to accompany your application. Your application will not be considered without this letter.
- Make sure you have your application to the sheriff not later than March 31, 2010. The application MUST be received by the VSI prior to the deadline, so do not wait until the last minute to mail your application to the sheriff.
Good luck in your educational pursuits!