CAROLINE CROSSROADS Free Lance-Star reporter Robyn Sidersky covers Caroline County government and schools. You can reach her at 540/374-5413 or You can follow coverage on Facebook or Twitter as well.
RSS feed of this blog

Communities upset about water rate increase


Residents of the Lake Land’Or and Campbell’s Creek communities in Caroline County are boiling mad about their water bills.

Nearly 100 people showed up to an informal meeting Tuesday night at the Ladysmith Volunteer Fire Department with Sen. Ryan T. McDougle and representatives of the State Corporation Commission to discuss a proposed rate increase of their water and sewer bills that already went into effect last month.

Aqua Virginia, a water and sewage corporation, filed a rate increase request with the Virginia State Corporation Commission for $3.2 million in June.

A rate increase could increase the water and sewer bills for about 1,800 Caroline residents in the Elsinore, Campbell’s Creek and Lake Land’Or communities.

"This is a difficult time for our community," said Linda Fifield, who serves on the water committee for Lake Land’Or. "People are losing their homes and they now have a water bill higher than it was five years ago."

Bonnie Kilgore–Leiss of the Lake Land’Or homeowner’s association said one resident received a water bill for $1,200 for just one month and the company won’t respond to complaints.

"The water quality gets lower and lower and the water bills get higher and higher," she said.

A woman who has lived in the Campbell’s Creek area for 32 years said her water smells like rotten eggs and she has never been able to drink it.

McDougle told the crowd to submit their complaints to the SCC Web site by the Feb. 17 deadline, so they can be taken into consideration during Aqua’s public hearing on Feb. 24. That’s when a decision will be made on the rate increase.

If the increase is not approved by the SCC, those residents will receive a refund from Aqua plus interest.

Portsia Smith: 540/374-5419


To submit a formal complaint online:

  • visit
  • Click on "Submit public comments on a case"
  • scroll to PUE-2009- 00059
  • Click on "submit com ments"