Free Lance-Star reporter Robyn Sidersky covers Caroline County government and schools. You can reach her at 540/374-5413 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You can follow coverage on Facebook or Twitter as well.
Deadline approaching for Operation: Shoebox
Operation: Shoebox is underway for the 2009 holiday season.
“Operation Shoebox” is a project being spearheaded by the Optimist Club of Caroline County in partnership with Caroline County Government, Caroline Department of Social Services and Caroline County Public Schools to help certain young people better enjoy the holiday season. The project has brought joy into the lives of many kids who otherwise would not enjoy as much during this special time of year. This is the 9th year of the program.
This year’s goal is 1,200 boxes.
“Operation Shoebox” works by completing the following steps:
- Choose an age of a child between 3-12.
- Choose whether the child you want to help is a boy or girl.
- Fill up a regular size shoebox with holiday treasurers that you feel would delight a youngster with the age and gender you have chosen.
- Items should be new, and something a child would want, not need. For example, giving a boy, age 6, a GI Joe instead of a pair of gloves. The boy may need the gloves, but there are other projects in Caroline County that can give kids what they need!
- Items filling the shoebox should not be more than $25 total. That way you can buy more items to fill the box.
- Once the shoebox is filled, wrap it in holiday paper and put on the outside the age and gender of the child you are helping.
- Deliver wrapped shoeboxes to the offices of Union Bank & Trust in Bowling Green, Ladysmith or any Fredericksburg area branch; or take them directly to Department of Social Services located at the Caroline County Community Services Center.
Also being accepted are empty shoeboxes and cash donations. Project organizers take the cash donations and purchase items and fill the empty shoeboxes. The empty shoeboxes can be dropped off at Caroline County Social Services. Cash donations can be sent to: Optimist Club of Caroline County, % Union Bank & Trust, PO Box 225, Ladysmith, VA 22501.
It is desired the filled shoeboxes be submitted by December 11, but will be accepted up to Christmas Eve. Shoeboxes will then be distributed to children through the assistance of the Department of Social Services and the Caroline County School System.
All Caroline County residents, churches, businesses, government employees and service clubs and organizations are encouraged to adopt this special project. Contact Cindy Ashcraft at (804) 448-1974 or e-mail at email@example.com for further information.