Free Lance-Star reporter Robyn Sidersky covers Caroline County government and schools. You can reach her at 540/374-5413 or email@example.com. You can follow coverage on Facebook or Twitter as well.
County Admin’s December message
Percy Ashcraft, County Administrator firstname.lastname@example.org (804) 633-5380
This message is the last in 2009 to better update our citizens and visitors to the website. The information serves as a status report for ongoing projects, and also serves as a preview to different happenings that are in the planning stages.
County government offices will be closed Thursday, December 24 and remain closed until 8:30 a.m. Monday, December 28 in observance of the Christmas holiday.
The Board of Supervisors will hold its only meeting this month on Tuesday, December 1 at 6 p.m. at the Community Services Center.
The annual Bowling Green Christmas Parade will be held at 5 p.m. Saturday, December 12 in downtown Bowling Green.
The annual Friends of the Library Holiday Bazaar will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, December 5 at the Community Services Center.
The annual Senior Citizens’ Gala will be held at 6 p.m. Thursday, December 3 at Caroline High School. This activity is sponsored by the Rotary Club of Caroline County.
Graduation ceremonies for the Sheriff’s Citizens Academy will be held at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, December 10 at the Community Services Center. Chairman Wayne Acors will deliver remarks on behalf of the Board of Supervisors.
Representatives of the Dawn Library Committee will give an update on its project at the December 1 BOS meeting.
The Youth Task Force will hold its next meeting at 4 p.m. Thursday, December 3 at the Community Services Center.
County government has again joined with the Optimist Club of Caroline County, Department of Social Services and the Public School Division to sponsor “Operation Shoebox” this holiday season. The public is urged to donate at least one shoebox to a needy child. Contact 448-1974 for more details.
All county residents are encouraged to register for the Caroline Alert System. The system will notify residents of emergencies and other government news through their cell phones and desktop computers. This is a free service offered by the Board of Supervisors. Click on www.CarolineAlert.com to register. Here is a capsule glance of other activities that will be happening in County government during the month of December:
- The Parks and Recreation Department will be finalizing its plans for youth basketball this winter and developing plans for an expanded summer camp agenda. Contact the office at (804) 633-7277 for information on these programs and other offerings.
- A public hearing will be held at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, December 1 on an update of the County’s Comprehensive Plan.
- County staff and consultants continue to work on a proposal that will allow the County to withdraw water from the Rappahannock River in the future. The Department of Environmental Quality must grant its approval before water can be withdrawn.
- The Lloyd Boxley Cannery will remain open until December 31 and then reopen in the spring. County Staff will continue to work with regional officials to expand the use of the facility located along Route 301 south.
- The Board of Supervisors at its December 1 meeting will resume consideration on amendments to the Service Agreement for Peumansend Creek Regional Jail that would allow certain federal prisoners to enter the facility.
- The next meeting of the 2010 Census Committee will be held Thursday, January 28. Committee representatives will spend the next month sharing information about the Census to their various constituency groups.
- Meetings involving the stakeholders for Victory Park in Bowling Green will begin in January. The Board of Supervisors at its November 12 meeting agreed with moving ahead with development of the park or face losing federal funds to pay for it.
- Registration is underway for residents of the Dawn community who would like to sign-up for Phase II of the Dawn Wastewater Project.
Follow the latest Caroline County government happenings follow Twitter located on our main page at www.visitcaroline.com.
Have a happy holiday season!