Free Lance-Star reporter Robyn Sidersky covers Caroline County government and schools. You can reach her at 540/374-5413 or email@example.com. You can follow coverage on Facebook or Twitter as well.
Historic Jericho School Celebrates Dedication and Open House
"It is a remarkable experience to walk back in time" commented Chairman Wayne Acors of the beautifully restored Jericho School. Acors went on to say in remarks to a well attended audience that the restoration of the schoolhouse was a "significant achievement to Caroline County", later mirrored by Tourism Manager Kathy Beard. Expressing "heartfelt congratulations" Chairman Acors presented a framed Resolution to Reverend L. Nolan Fox, President of Historic Jericho School, Inc. Other members of the Board of Supervisors, Vice Chair Maxie Rozell, Jr. and Jeff Sili were present to offer their support and congratulations.
Jericho Schoolhouse was built sometime between the years of 1907 and 1911 (the actual year unknown) to educate the African American Children of Caroline. In 1962 it closed its doors as a schoolhouse and served as a private residence and then remained empty until Reverend Fox formed the Historic Jericho School Committee in May 2001. His vision to restore the school to its original stature became the committee’s vision as well. On December 3, 2003 Jericho School was certified as a Historical Site and in February 2004 it was listed on the National Registry of Historic Places. After eight years of hard work, faith and perserverence, the Jericho Schoolhouse opened its doors to continue its original purpose: to educate.
The Open House Ceremony on Oct. 3 was a joyous one, consisting of Katrina Gill singing "Holy, Holy, Holy", the song that began the day for the many children that attended the school. Students, some still living in Caroline, and at the dedication, reminsced about experiences back in the day. A beautiful rendition of the National Anthem was performed by Mrs. Barbara Rock and special presentations were given by Reverend Fox and Reverend Eddie Nelson.
The ceremony ended with the ribbon cutting, a tour of the school and a traditional May Pole Dance performed by talented children.