Our 2014 Fredericksburg Business Insider sponsors
|Click here for information on sponsorships|
Lindley Estes is a business writer for The Free Lance-Star and Fredericksburg.com. This blog is on Fredericksburg-area business. Send an e-mail to Lindley Estes.
Business Notes, 9/26/13
Here are some odds and ends from the world of Fredericksburg-area business over the past week:
- The next Startup Weekend Fredericksburg event is scheduled for Jan. 17-19 at Germanna Community College’s Spotsylvania County campus. People who are interested in getting involved in the event as a participant, judge, coach or sponsor can contact Christine Goodwin at firstname.lastname@example.org. The first of the local startup-focused events was held in June.
- Jeff Rouse, an Olympic gold medalist swimmer who is from the Fredericksburg area and now serves as president of REDCO, will be the featured speaker at the Next Generation of Business Leaders’ Midweek Motivation event starting at noon Oct. 2 at Renato’s downtown. The event is open to the public.
- Locust Grove Auto Repair, which opened last month near Lake of the Woods at 4084 Germanna Highway in Orange County, is holding a grand opening Saturday. Orange native and longtime mechanic William Ewing Jr. owns the business.
- Spotsylvania-based defense contractor SimVentions Inc. recently received the “Virginia Values Veterans” bronze certification for its efforts to hire veterans.
- Cody Wilmer recently started a Kickstarter campaign to raise funds for Fitz Kits, a local startup that offers customers sets of steel poles, clamp joints and other accessories that make it easy to assemble various pieces of equipment including stands for 3–D printers. Several other local Kickstarter campaigns are also under way, including one by local entrepreneur Jeff Morin involving a “parachute” multi-use tool.
- Fredericksburg-based Obsidian Solutions Group is hosting a job fair from noon to 3 p.m. Saturday at the Idlewild Community Center. The company is looking for people with backgrounds in intelligence, biometrics, forensics, disaster preparedness and more.
- Cortek Inc. is holding an open house from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Oct. 3 at its new office at 5444 Jefferson Davis Highway in the Southpoint area of Spotsylvania.
- Rocking The Chair, a business that offers salvaged and repurposed furniture, has opened in its ground-level space at 915 Sophia St. in downtown Fredericksburg. A grand opening is set for Oct. 4-5.
- The Courtyard by Marriott hotel at the Quantico Corporate Center in North Stafford is on track to be finished by mid-October and open by mid-November. Walter Burton has been hired as the hotel’s general manager, and Nikita McNeill as director of sales.
- Giant Food Stores, Marlo Furniture, PORTCO Inc. and The Choice Group are among the companies that will be honored by the Virginia Department for Aging and Rehabilitative Services for their commitment to hiring and supporting people with disabilities in the workplace.
- Pediatric occupational therapy company Helping Hands Inc. has moved to a 10,200-square-foot office at 2049 Jefferson Davis Highway near the Stafford Hospital.