Our 2014 Fredericksburg Business Insider sponsors
|Click here for information on sponsorships|
Bill Freehling is a business writer for The Free Lance-Star and Fredericksburg.com. This blog is on Fredericksburg-area business. Send an e-mail to Bill Freehling.
Area business, civic leaders to participate in UMW dancing event
RELATED: See more UMW news
Ten well-known Fredericksburg-area business and civic leaders will participate in an Aug. 17 event at the University of Mary Washington that will be patterned after ABC’s popular “Dancing with the Stars” television show.
“Dancing with the Fredericksburg Stars” will pair the 10 participants with professional dancers from Strictly Ballroom Dance Studio in Spotsylvania County. The event, which will start at 7 p.m. in UMW’s Dodd Auditorium, will raise money for a scholarship program for UMW students studying the performing arts.
Tickets, which cost $75 per person, are now being sold. A three-judge panel will present awards in various categories, and members of the audience will cast votes for the People’s Choice award.
This is the first year UMW has held the event, but there are plans to make it an annual occurrence. Here are the local “stars” who will be participating this year:
- Marty Bass, retired attorney and judge
- Caressa Cameron-Jackson, Miss America 2010
- Mary Katherine Greenlaw, mayor, city of Fredericksburg
- Ellen Killough, president and CEO, Fredericksburg Area Museum and Cultural Center
- Rick Hurley, president, University of Mary Washington
- Rich McDaniel, senior vice president, CBRE
- Fred Rankin, president and CEO, Mary Washington Healthcare
- Susan Spears, president, Fredericksburg Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Deirdre White, president and CEO, DPW Training & Associates
- Bill Young, CEO, Virginia Partners Bank