Our 2014 Fredericksburg Business Insider sponsors
|Click here for information on sponsorships|
Lindley Estes is a business writer for The Free Lance-Star and Fredericksburg.com. This blog is on Fredericksburg-area business. Send an e-mail to Lindley Estes.
Business Notes, 12/21/12
Here are some odds and ends of late from the world of Fredericksburg-area business:
- The Stafford Technology and Research Center at Quantico is now a 501(c)3, which is expected to help with funding.
- The University of Mary Washington Center for Economic Development, Fredericksburg Regional Chamber of Commerce and UMW College of Business will present a year-long seminar series in 2013 on business topics such as planning, accounting, social media, finance and marketing.
- The Caroline County Chamber of Commerce recently named Bowling Green-based real estate broker Mike Manns as its business person of the year.
- A lawsuit over an unfinished easement on 300 acres adjacent to Moss Neck Manor in Caroline was settled late last month. The case pitted a subsidiary of the Silver Cos. against the Virginia Outdoors Foundation and The Conservation Fund.
- StellarOne Corp.’s Board of Directors has approved a program authorizing 1.5 million shares of the company’s common stock to be repurchased at management’s discretion. The shares represent about 6 percent of the total outstanding.
- Hilldrup Moving and Storage recently received United Van Lines’ annual Customer Choice Award. Hilldrup has received the recognition 18 times since it was initiated in 1992.
- The Blue & Gray Brewing Co. in Spotsylvania County’s Bowman Center is running a promotion in which every touchdown scored by the Washington Redskins on Sundays reduces the price of a Monday growler fill by $1.
- Jeremy McCommons and Mark Doherty have hired Clif Pressinger as chief financial officer for Foundation Companies, their real estate investment firm. Pressinger has experience in the banking industry, including a 15-year stint with Bank of America. He then took a position as CFO for Neibauer Dental Care, which was based in the Fredericksburg area before being acquired last year by an Illinois-based dental services organization.
- Union Investment Services Inc. President Bern Mahon was recently named a member of the 2013 Raymond James Leaders Council. This is the 18th time Mahon has been chosen for the award.
- Fox Speech Therapy on Jan. 2 will open a second Fredericksburg location that will focus on pediatric services. The office will be at 321 Park Hill Ave. behind Mary Washington Hospital. The business also has an office at 605 Jefferson Davis Highway.