The Free Lance-Star Photography Department shares the stories behind the photos.
The dragonfly has landed
A dragonfly perches on the antenna of a car parked in the Leavell’s Crossing neighborhood in Spotsylvania on Monday. (Dave Ellis/ The Free Lance-Star)
Here are a few facts about dragonflies from the website http://www.dragonfly-site.com/dragonfly-facts.html:
- A dragonfly flaps its wings about 30 beats per second.
- Some dragonflies can reach speeds up to 36 mph.
- A dragonfly eye contains about 30,000 lenses compared to a human eye which contains only one. While dragonflies can see all away around them, they are unable to distinguish detail.
- Dragonflies have been around for about 300 million years.
- A dragonfly can live from six months to six years, but only spends about two months as an actual dragonfly. The rest of the time is spent as a nymph living in water.